Have a craving for pizza? I've got you covered!
For Pizza Sauce:
◾ 15 ounces crushed fire roasted tomatoes
◾ ½ teaspoon dried oregano
◾ Scant ½ teaspoon kosher salt
◾ 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
◾ 1 small clove garlic
For Eggplant Pizza:
◾ 2 pounds globe eggplant
◾ 2 tablespoons olive oil
◾ ½ cup Parmesan cheese
◾ ¼ cup chopped fresh basil, plus more for garnish
◾ Kosher salt (to season)
◾ 1 teaspoon dried oregano
◾ 1 cup Pizza Sauce
◾ ½ cup mozzarella cheese
For Pizza Sauce:
1. Cut the garlic into a few pieces.
2. Place all of the ingredients in a blender.
3. Blend well.
-> This is an Italian-style, which has a slightly runnier texture than an American style pizza sauce.
-->Store refrigerated for approximately 1 week or frozen up to approximately 3 months.
For Eggplant Pizzas:
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Meanwhile, slice the eggplant into ¾ inch thick slices.
3. Brush both sides of the eggplant with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. 4. Sprinkle the tops with kosher salt (approximately¼ teaspoon) and the dried oregano.
5. Place the eggplant on baking sheet and bake for around 15 to 20 minutes. They need to be tender, but still holding their shape as well.
6. Meanwhile, while the eggplant is roasting, make your pizza sauce.
7. Top the eggplant with thin layer of the sauce,
8. Then add the chopped basil, (which should be divided between the rounds).
9. Sprinkle with mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses, which should be divided between the rounds.
10. Sprinkle the tops with a bit more kosher salt.
11. Broil the eggplant until cheese is melted and lightly browned, about approximately 3 to 5 minutes.
->Rotate the pan if needed (for even cooking).
12.Top with more fresh basil and serve.