2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium red onion, chopped
1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
4 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 large red bell pepper, chopped
2 medium carrots, chopped
2 celery ribs, chopped
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika
1 large (28-ounce) can or 2 small (15-ounce) cans diced tomatoes with their juice
2 cups vegetable broth or water
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon dried oregano
2 (15-ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
1 (15-ounce) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, plus extra for garnish
1–2 teaspoons sherry vinegar, red wine vinegar, or lime juice
1. Heat oil in a Dutch oven or a large stockpot over medium heat.
2. Add onion, bell pepper, carrots, and celery 3. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Stir and cook for approximately 7–10 minutes, until soft.
5. Add the garlic, chili powder, cumin, paprika, and oregano.
6. Let cook for approximately 1 minute.
7. Add in the beans and diced tomatoes as well as the juice from them.
8. Add the broth and bay leaf.
9. Stir and simmer for approximately 30 minutes.
10. Remove from heat and remove the bay leaf.
11. Add 1 1/2 cups of chili to a blender and blend until it’s smooth, then return it to the stockpot.
12. Add in the cilantro along with the salt and sherry vinegar to taste.
13. Serve and enjoy!