Vegetarian Tortilla Soup
6 6-inch corn tortillas
1 yellow onion
1 green bell pepper
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil and a bit more for brushing)
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 teaspoon cumin
4 medium garlic cloves
1 quart vegetable broth
1 teaspoon kosher salt (add a bit more for sprinkling)
1 handful cilantro
2 15-ounce cans black beans
1 28-ounce can crushed fire roasted tomatoes
1½ cups frozen corn
1 tablespoon adobo sauce (this is from 1 can chipotle peppers in adobo sauce)
1. Heat oven to 375°F.
2. For the tortilla strips: Brush the tortillas lightly with olive oil. Slice in thin strips(you can use a pizza cutter for this). Place strips on baking sheet and sprinkle with the kosher salt. Bake for approximately 10 to 12 minutes until lightly browned and crispy.
3. Prepare he vegetables: Peel and dice onion. Peel and mince garlic. Dice green pepper. Drain and rinse beans.
4. Prepare the soup: In a large pot, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil. Sauté onion (approximately 5 minutes). Add the green pepper and the garlic and sauté for approximately 2 minutes. Stir in cumin and oregano for approximately 1 minute. Add tomatoes, corn, beans, adobo sauce, broth, and kosher salt. Bring to a boil, and then simmer for approximately 10 minutes. Taste and add additional adobo sauce and kosher salt if needed.
5. Prep the garnishes: Slice the radishes. Slice the lime into wedges.
5. Serve in bowls once cooled to a warm temperature.
6. Garnish with tortilla strips, radishes, leaves, hot sauce, and lime juice.