SHRIMP, PEAS AND RICE
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
2 cups low sodium chicken broth, canned or homemade (veggie broth for lent)
1/2 cup frozen peas
1 cup uncooked converted brown rice
4 teaspoons olive oil, divided
1-1/4 pounds peeled and deveined shrimp
2 tbsp grated Pecorino Romano cheese
1 tbsp chopped parsley, for garnish
1. In a large heavy skillet melt the butter over medium heat. Add the rice and saute about 2-3 minutes.
2. Add the chicken broth and peas and bring to a boil. When just about all the liquid is absorbed just skimming the top of the rice, cover and reduce heat to low.
3. Cook, covered on low heat 20 minutes, until rice is cooked through. Shut off and let stand covered 5 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, in second large skillet, heat 2 teaspoons of the olive oil over medium heat until hot.
5. Season shrimp with salt and pepper and add to hot skillet. Cook about 2-3 minutes, until the shrimp is opaque and cooked through. Remove shrimp from pan and set aside.
6. Add the 2 remaining teaspoons of olive oil to the skillet on high heat and add the cooked rice, shrimp, grated cheese and parsley and saute another minute or two to slightly crisp, mixing well.