Herbed Ricotta Stuffed Chicken in White Wine Pan Sauce.
1/2 cup whole milk ricotta cheese
1/4 cup shredded gouda cheese
2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme, plus more for serving
2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
kosher salt and pepper
4-6 skin-on, chicken breasts
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
3 small shallots, halved
4 garlic cloves, smashed
1 cup cremini mushrooms, halved, if large
2 tablespoons salted butter
3/4 cup dry white wine, such as Pinot Grigio or Sauvignon Blanc
1/2 cup apple cider
1 large head cauliflower, cut into florets
2 cloves garlic, smashed
2-3 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
4 tablespoons salted butter
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Grease an oven-safe skillet with olive oil.
2. In a bowl, combine the ricotta, gouda, 1 tablespoon thyme, 1 tablespoon sage, nutmeg, and a pinch each of salt and pepper.
3. Loosen the skin of the chicken breast with your fingertips. Stuff about 2 tablespoons of ricotta underneath the skin of each breast. Rub the chicken skin with olive oil, season with 1 tablespoon thyme, 1 tablespoon sage, salt, and pepper. Transfer the chicken to the prepared skillet. Arrange the shallots, garlic, and mushrooms around the chicken. Drizzle olive oil over the mushrooms, season with salt and pepper. Transfer to the oven and roast for 20 minutes, until the chicken is cooked.
4. Remove from the oven and place the chicken and mushrooms on a plate.
5. Place the skillet with the shallots and garlic over medium heat. Add the butter. Cook 1-2 minutes, until the butter is browned. Add the wine and cider. Bring to a boil over high heat. Boil 5 minutes, until reduced by half. Slide the chicken and mushrooms back into the skillet, simmer 1 minute. Remove from the heat.
6. Meanwhile, make the mashed cauliflower. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add cauliflower florets and cook until tender, 10 minutes. Drain well.
7. In a food processor, combine the cauliflower, garlic, cream cheese, and butter, season to taste with salt and pepper. Pulse until smooth and creamy, about 1 minute.
8. To serve, spoon the mashed cauliflower onto plates. Add the chicken and mushrooms. Then spoon over the pan sauce. Top with fresh thyme.